Suji Halwa (Semolina dessert)
- 1/4 cup oil or ghee
- 3/4 cup fine suji semolina
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-5 cardamom pods
- Food color optional but recommended
- In a pot, add oil followed by suji.
- Stir and let the suji roast for 10-15 minutes on low to medium heat or until it gives off a nutty aroma. Make sure to keep stirring because the suji can burn very quickly.
- While suji is roasting, on another stove, boil water.
- Once water has come to a boil, add sugar followed by cardamom pods (crushed open).
- Let the sugar dissolve completely about five minutes.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the suji and continue cooking on low heat for a few minutes or until the suji has thickened up.
- Add two drops of yellow food color.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and serve warm.