Fun Fact: Growing up, I absolutely hated pineapples in cakes and it wasn’t until I was much older (18 to be exact) that I finally let go of my aversion and actually started eating pineapple. It was time I introduced this sticky sweetness on the blog.
I partnered up with Kitchen Mama to share this delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Their electric can openers are so handy and hassle-free! If you use canned food regularly for cooking and baking, you need one of these in your kitchen right now. You can shop their collection here.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake-So Easy!
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar light or brown
- 1 can pineapple slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter for a few minutes or until light and fluffy. Run the spatula around the edges (the butter tends to clump together).
- Next add in cream cheese and beat for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar and cream for a good 4-5 minutes or until, you guessed it right! Light AND Fluffy!
- Next, add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds on medium speed with each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture in batches into the batter and mix on medium speed until all of the flour is fully incorporated and the batter looks smooth.
- To prep the cake batter for the oven, pour melted butter into a 9" spring-form pan.
- Next, sprinkle on the brown sugar and pat down using a spatula or fork.
- Next, pop open the pineapple can using the Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener and layer them on top of the brown sugar.
- Place maraschino cherries inside the pineapple slices.
- Top the slices with the cake batter and smooth it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Mine took 1 hr and 10 mins to fully cook through. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- To serve, invert the cake onto a plate so the pineapple side is on the top. DUH!