These Kalonji and Zeera/Jeera biscuits are the perfect shortbread classic cookies that are super popular is Pakistan and India. They have a delightful snap but are so tender when you bite into them. This buttery goodness is enjoyed best with a hot cup of chai. And the best part is that these are eggless!
- DO NOT knead the dough. This is a shortbread cookie. Shortbread cookies are NEVER kneaded because kneading develops gluten in the dough making it chewier/bread-like.
- Liquid is NOT needed. There is butter in the dough which will help moisten the flour. However, if you find that your dough is just not coming together and is too dry, you can add a tsp of milk at a time.
- Cracks in the dough are absolutely fine. Just smooth the cracks with your hands. The warmth from your hands will soften the dough.
- Toast the seeds. For added flavor, lightly toast the kalonji and zeera seeds in a pan with no oil. This will bring our the aroma and take your biscuits up a notch.
Kalonji & Zeera Biscuits - A Chai Time Classic
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour or you can simply use 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar if you like your biscuit on the sweeter side, then use 1/2 cup but personally 1/3 is good for me
- 1-2 tsp kalonji and zeera seeds toast them in a pan lightly for extra flavor boost
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You can simply use your spatula.
- Mix flours in a separate bowl and add to the creamed butter. Use your spatula to bring everything together into a doughball. DO NOT KNEAD.
- Sprinkle some flour on your counter and tip your dough on it. Press down the dough into 1/4-1/3 inch thickness. You can use your rolling pin, but pressing down with your hands will work perfectly. It's okay if the edges are cracking, just press to smooth them out with your fingers
- Sprinkly toasted kalonji and zeera seeds and press them lightly into the dough so they stick.
- Next, cut out small circles using a cookie cutter or any glass or cup and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the voen for 15 mins or until the edges have turn light brown in color and the top is a bit beige.
- Let the cookies cool for 10 mins, then enjoy with your hot hot cup of chai!