This is the literal copycat recipe of Panera Bread’s Chicken Avocado Melt sandwich! Just LOOK at this gloriousness!
I mean it really is no secret because I just looked at the list of ingredients Panera Bread uses to make their Chicken Avocado Melt sandwich and put this together in a jiffy. But the simple fact that I can replicate that same flavor at home is amazing to me! For maximum flavor, I would recommend you go with chicken that has been roasted. Roast chicken is 100 times more moist than pan-fried chicken because of the even slow cooking in the oven.
Do I need to use focaccia bread?
You don’t need to use a specific bread but I wanted to replicate the sandwich as is and therefore, ended up making fresh Focaccia bread at home. If you don’t have focaccia, then I would recommend you use sourdough/French or ciabatta bread. The intense flavor and sturdiness of these breads will lend the best flavor to the sandwich.
What’s so unique about this sandwich?
It’s a simple easy sandwich to prepare but it’s packed with a ton of flavor. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers, the sweetness of the pimiento/peppadew peppers and the creaminess of the avocado blend so well. Finally if you love gouda cheese and already love Panera Bread’s OG sandwich, you’re already sold on this recipe so go make it right now!
Chicken Avocado Melt Sandwich
- 1 Focaccia Bread sliced
- 2 tbsp homemade Chipotle Mayo
- 1/8-1/4 cup gouda cheese I use shredded but slices are better
- 1 tbsp Peppadew or Pimiento peppers these come in a jar
- 1/2 ripe avocado smashed
- 1/4 cup roast chicken I made garlic lemon roast chicken at home but you can use any chicken you like and shred it
- jalapeno peppers optional for heat
- cilantro leaves
Homemade Chipotle Mayo
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp sour cream or yogurt
- 2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce easily available in stores
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- water for desired consistency
- Slice focaccia bread and lightly toast
- On one slice, smear the homemade chipotle mayo, add chicken, gouda, peppers and cilantro. On the other half spread the smashed avocado
- Sprinke cracked black pepper, some salt and top with more chipotle mayo and enjoy!