This flatbread pizza came about one fine evening when I had no meat in the fridge and just tons of pita bread in my freezer. You can probably guess that I’m Pakistani by taking a quick peek into my freezer. It puts the bread section of the grocery store to shame.
I drizzle the flatbread with honey and my, oh my, do the flavors sing together beautifully! Honey makes all the difference in the world. When used sparingly, it brings out the caramelized onion even more and the chilli flakes add the perfect amount of heat. Please ogle at this charred edges for reassurance!
Flatbread pizza with caramelized onion!
- 2 pita bread slices
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- cilantro for garnish
- drizzle of honey for garnish
- chili flakes for garnish
- Turn on the oven to BROIL setting.
- Slice a large onion thinly and cook in a pan with a touch of oil on medium heat until brown and caramelized, about 6-7 minutes.
- Next, toast the pita bread. I like to toast it directly on the stove so the bottom crisps up. This step is important if you like a slightly crispy flatbread.
- Next, divide the caramelized onion evenly between the two pita breads.
- Top with cheese and cilantro leaves. You can use cheddar or mozzarrella. I use a combination of both.
- Stick the flatbreads under the broiler directly on the first rack. Let the cheese brown and bubble for about 4-5 minutes. Keep an eye on it; the broiler can burn the flatbread if you're not attentive.
- To serve, slice the flatbread into four quarters, drizzle with honey, sprinkle some chili flakes and fresh cilantro. YUMO!
- If you don't have the broiler setting in your oven, turn up the temperature to 450F.
Thanks a lot for your amazing recipes. I especially liked the one called “honey roasted Chicken with the dip”.
Wish you the best for the future.
And I’ll suggest a voluntary donation feature on your website as well. I’m sure many people would like to fund you for your growth.
Thank you for leaving your comments. It makes my day to read such a positive feedback. I would definitely consider the donation feature! Thanks