Dhaba Style Suji Halwa
This Suji Halwa recipe is exactly what you get at the dhabas. It has the the orange color, a runny consistency and has that unmistakable halwa glisten reminiscent of the roadside dhabas!
- 1/4 cup suji fine, not coarse
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter for an extra nutty flavor
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cardamom pods cracked open at the mouth so you can remove it later
- yellow color powdered food color adds the best color
Roast #suji and butter on low heat uncovered for 20 mins or until nutty and brown. In a bowl combine water, sugar and #cardamom and nuke in the microwave for 2 mins (stirring once in between so the sugar can dissolve. We’re not making a syrup, just dissolving sugar so don't nuke for too long.
Once suji has changed color and smells nutty, pour in the sugar water mixture, then add yellow color to your liking. Mix thoroughly so the color bleeds into the suji.
On low heat, let the halwa drink up the sugar water and the ghee/butter separates a bit. You will be left with a suji that is glossy and runny--a classic look of the dhaba suji halwa.
Serve with fresh puris and channay, and enjoy!
- Suji needs to be roasted on low to medium heat. Once it changes color, it can burn very quickly so keep a close eye. 20-25 minutes works for me!
- You can dissolve the sugar in the water on the stovetop but I find the microwave such a hack for convenience!
- Once the suji has soaked up the water, within a few minutes, you'll see the oil separate.