Instant Pot Daal Chawal
This is the perfect Instant Pot lentil recipe. It's quick to prep and so comforting!
- 1 cup red lentil Masoor, rinsed well
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili you can add more to the tadka to taste
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp oil the quantity is up to you
- 2 red button chili whole
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
In your Instant Pot, add lentils, water, turmeric and red chilli powder and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes with the valve sealed.
Once done, release pressure, add salt to taste and adjust the consistency of the daal. If the daal is too thin for your taste, cook it down a bit on "saute" mode. If you like it more watery, add more water. When you reach the desired consistency, set the instant pot to low.
In a pan, heat up oil, add cumin and allow it to crackle a bit. Then add the button chilli and garlic cloves. Let the garlic get golden brown, then add a pinch of red chilli powder.
Swirl the tadka in the pan for 30 seconds and pour on the daal. Give it a gentle stir and cover with a glass lid (not the pressure cooker lid otherwise pressure will start building). Let the daal steep in the tadka for 3-4 minutes.
Serve with Basmati rice and some aam/gajar ka achar!
- When releasing pressure, you can do a quick release but if the daal splatters, then wait for the pressure to release naturally
- Tadka ingredients are up to you. You can add slices onion and curry leaves as well.
- keep your daal on low setting when ready to pour the tadka.