- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold and chopped
- 5-6 tbsp water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 large zucchini sliced into rounds
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- To prepare pie crust, in a mixing bowl whisk together flour and salt. Not cut butter into the flour. I like to grate really cold butter on the largest holes of the grater so it distributes evenly in the flour.
- Using a fork, crumble the butter into the flour. use your hands to run the mixture until the butter is fully integrated into the flour and the mixture becomes crumbly. You want to be able to feel the cold butter pieces.
- Slowly add water a tbsp at a time into the flour mixture. Mix with hand. Once the dough pinches together and forms a ball, stop adding water. (Less is more in this case.)
- Wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for half an hour upto two days.
- When ready to make pie crust, roll out the pie dough on a marble top or cutting board. It's fine if the dough get crumbly. Mine did not at all because I used really cold ingredients (that's key).
- Roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick and press it in your quiche pan. A regular spring form pan is perfect too.
- Crimp the edges and prick the dough with a fork. Bake for 15 mins at 400 degrees F.
- For the filling, melt some butter along with olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Toss in mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add zucchini followed by spinach and jalapeno peppers. Sprinkle salt and oregano. Cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from stove
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk salt and paprika and whisk until beaten. Add the grated mozzarella cheese followed by your sauteed vegetables. Mix the filling together.
- Once your pie crust has baked until slightly golden brown, brush it with eggwhite. Let it dry (about a minute or two). This will prevent the crust from getting soggy from the filling as it bakes.
- Finally pour the filling into the prebaked pie crust and bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees F. Top with olives, more cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle with some dried oregano. Now continue baking for 15-20 more minute or until the eggs have just set in the center. A little jiggle in the center is fine but a knife inserted should come out clean.
- Add a dash of hot sauce and serve hot!