My mom has pretty much turned my apartment right side up in the past few days. My laundry closet no longer looks like a dump and the washing machine groans almost every day as I mother does our laundry. Electricity bill…no biggie! Down to the rusting sink, mom scrubbed everything down. She even insisted we get the musty carpet deep cleaned. So, now the apartment looks as if my brother and I just moved in! My clothes are always folded, bed is always made, and food is always on the hob. At the risk of sounding like a spoiled child, I will say that I did make her these lemon blueberry pancakes as a tiny gesture for staying late into the night to clean the apartment. She is not fond of pancakes but she loved these.
I love how the blueberry juice bleeds into the pancake layers adding that perfect tanginess. The lemon glaze drizzled on top is so refreshing, it gets you excited for summer!
If you’re more into visuals, check out how I make this!
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes With Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup powdered/confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice or more if you like more zest
- Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and pour it into the dry mixture and mix until everything is incorporated. Don't overmix. A few lumps are okay
- Toss the blueberries with a tsp of flour (this will ensure they don't sink to the bottom of the pancakes.
- Mix the blueberries into the pancake batter and fold gently.
- To fry, scoop out about a quarter cup of pancake batter into a greased skillet. Wait for bubbles to form on the surface of the pancake. Flip the pancake when the first bubble pops. Cook the other side for 20 seconds (once flipped, the other side cooks really fast).
- Keep flipping until you've used up the batter (I don't recommend refrigerating the batter for later use).
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the lwmon juice and confectioner's sugar.
- Stack up the pancakes on a plate, drizzle with lemon glaze and maple syrup, garnish with fresh blueberries, some lemon zest. Yum!