When you have the owner of the Best Fish Taco in Ensenada personally show you the secret to the best fish tacos, you know your taco-loving palate is taken care of. Being a regular customer of the taco joint, I secretly wished my fish taco game were stronger. And then lo and behold I run into the owner, Joseph, at the store and well… let’s just say my taco game never looked better! I had a lot of fun shooting this video with Joseph. Amidst the hilarity that ensued coupled with intriguing customers who thought that the taco joint would be featured on national television, I was able to get my act on and get this video to you guys!
Of course, I went back home to test out the recipe. OUTSTANDING! I think now I need Joseph to teach me how to make his secret salsas!
- 1/2 pound white fish Basa or any other kind
- 3/4 cup complete buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ice cold water
- Cut fish into thin strips.
- In a bowl, add the pancake mix followed by the spices. Whisk until combined.
- Next, pour the ice cold water and mix until the batter is lumpfree but don't over mix.
- Pour the batter on the pre-cut fish and mix well. Let sit in the fridge for half an hour.
- Next, heat up oil to 375 degrees F.
- Slide the fish into the oil and cook until deep brown and crispy.
- To assemble the taco, heat up corn tortillas on a griddle, place two to three strips of fried fish, top with salsa and creme fraiche and enjoy!