Ditch the cans and make homemade Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup!
Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- In a saucepan over medium to low heat, sautee mushrooms in 2 tsp of butter. Once soft and soggy, remove to a clean plate to use later.
- In the same saucepan, melt 3 tbsp of butter.
- Next, add flour and continue stirring with a whisk to make the "roux". The mixture may curdle but that's okay. Continue stirring for a minute or two. *Do not leave unattended.*
- Next pour chicken stock into the roux while whisking continuously.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms back into the soup.
- Add salt, pepper and red chilli powder along with the roasted shredded chicken.
- Pour in heavy cream and let simmer for a 10 mins or until thickened nicely. Adjust spices if needed.
- Top the cream of chicken and mushroom soup with croutons and serve hot!