You know sometimes you make those desserts that you promise you will only take a bite off of but end up scarfing down? Yep this churro ice cream sandwich is it! But then again it is coated in cinnamon sugar. It is loaded with a healthy scoop of salted caramel truffle ice cream. It is so visually exciting. What can you do? It’s you against this glorious thing in front of you.
If you’re more into visuals, check out how I make this!
Churro Ice cream Sandwich
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- oil for deep frying
- ice-cream of choice I love salted caramel truffle
- In a saucepan, boil together water, butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
- After the mixture comes to a gentle boil, discard the cinnamon stick, turn the flame to low and dump the flour all at once.
- Remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, whisk the flour into the mixture until it forms a ball. This will take up to 5 minutes.
- Let the dough cool slightly otherwise your egg will cook. Next, crack in the egg and mix. It will look like a mess but it will come together. It may take up to 10 minutes to mix it with a whisk. (You can use your electric mixer if you prefer).
- Scoop up the dough into a piping bag fitted with an open star tip. Pipe spirals on a tray.
- For the cinnamon sugar, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon. Mix and set aside.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Drop your churros two or three at a time and fry until golden brown on both sides about 6 minutes. Don't be tempted to take them out too soon because often times the insides are still not cooked all the way through.
- Drain on paper towel for a few seconds before rolling them in cinnamon sugar. Make sure you do that while they are hot because cinnamon sugar will stick easily to your churros.
- Take one churro spiral, scoop on your favorite ice-cream, top with another churro and enjoy!
- This dough makes 5 sandwiches (10 churro spirals).