The soup that’ll keep you warm and cosy this winter.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 of a yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp all purpose-flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 broccoli bunch chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese extra sharp
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt half of the butter and saute onions for 3-4 minutes
- Add the ground spices and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and melt before adding in the the flour.
- Cook flour for 30 to 45 seconds to rid the raw taste of flour. *We are creating what's called a "roux" to help thicken the soup later on.
- Next, add in chicken stock and Half & Half and on medium heat allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon
- Next add in the chopped veggies. *If you plan to leave the soup unblended, be sure to chop the veggies very small particularly the broccoli
- Allow veggies to cook on low-to medium heat for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender
- At this point, you can blend the soup. I prefer blending half of the soup just for texture. *If you plan to leave the soup unblended, be sure to chop the veggies very small particularly the broccoli
- Pour the blended soup back in the saucepan and on very low heat, add the cheddar cheese and allow to melt. *MAKE SURE TO NOT COOK ON HIGH HEAT AFTER ADDING THE CHEESE. The cheese will curdle and make the soup grainy.
- Once cheese is melted, serve hot with a slice of baguette.
- *Reheat leftovers on the stove on low heat. Double boiler is better. Microwaving will split the cheese and curdle it