Yes, that is right! A potato chip cake! Layers of sweet whipped cream sandwiched between crushed potato chips. i know I know this sounds really odd, but just trust me on this! It tastes delicious and ridiculously simple to make!
You will have people guessing what’s in the cake. The chips take on the texture of crushed nuts. To me the potato chip layers have a similar mouth feel to the pecan mixture that is characteristic of a German Chocolate Cake.
- 6 cups crushed potato chips (any lightly salted variety such as Lays)
- ½ cup coffee
- 2 cups melted semisweet chocolate
- 1 pint heavy cream (or 435 mls)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Roughly crush 6 cups worth of potato chips with hand.
- Pour the coffee on the chips and mix. This will help soften the crispness a little bit.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan on a very low heat.
- Pour the melted chocolate immediately on the chips and mix until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, whip up the cream. Once cream gets slightly frothy, add in the sugar and whip to stiff peak. Add in vanilla.
- Press 2 cups of the potato chip mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch spring-form pan.
- Next, spread ⅓ of the whipped cream onto the crust.
- Next, scatter another 2 cups of the potato chip mixture with a fork. Don't press the mixture down because it will sink into the cream. Just spread it as evenly as possible. Repeat with the cream layer, another layer of potato chips and a final layer of cream.
- To garnish, sprinkle some cocoa powder using a sieve or a fine mesh strainer.
- Take out a slice or scoop it in a bowl and enjoy!