The soup that’ll keep you warm and cosy this winter.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
The only Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe you will need to keep you warm and cozy this winter. It has all the goodness of cheese and nutrients of carrots and broccoli because we're eating just a tiny bit healthy this new year, amiright? Also, this is better than Panera Bread's version of Broccoli Cheddar soup...just saying! Hope y'all try this!
Author: Rookie With A Cookie
Recipe type: Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ of a yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp all purpose-flour
- 2½ cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 broccoli bunch, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, extra sharp
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt half of the butter and saute onions for 3-4 minutes
- Add the ground spices and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and melt before adding in the the flour.
- Cook flour for 30 to 45 seconds to rid the raw taste of flour. *We are creating what's called a "roux" to help thicken the soup later on.
- Next, add in chicken stock and Half & Half and on medium heat allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon
- Next add in the chopped veggies. *If you plan to leave the soup unblended, be sure to chop the veggies very small particularly the broccoli
- Allow veggies to cook on low-to medium heat for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender
- At this point, you can blend the soup. I prefer blending half of the soup just for texture. *If you plan to leave the soup unblended, be sure to chop the veggies very small particularly the broccoli
- Pour the blended soup back in the saucepan and on very low heat, add the cheddar cheese and allow to melt. *MAKE SURE TO NOT COOK ON HIGH HEAT AFTER ADDING THE CHEESE. The cheese will curdle and make the soup grainy.
- Once cheese is melted, serve hot with a slice of baguette.
- *Reheat leftovers on the stove on low heat. Double boiler is better. Microwaving will split the cheese and curdle it